Saturday, November 20, 2010

I don't need you to hold my hand

Survival of the smartest, that's what I say. Why does the government need to protect us from every single little danger, real or imagined? I don't need a warning label on a pack of cigarettes to remind me that they could kill me or a reminder on a can of beer that it could cause pregnancy complications or impair my ability to operate machinery. Unless you just dropped in from outer space, you know these things already.

However, both political parties feel the need to protect us from ourselves and that's not what I believe government should be for. I want infrastructure, defense, some social safety nets and regulations to ensure my food, air and water are safe. It shouldn't be their job to decide who I can marry, do business with, what I can build on my property,what I want to put in my body, what I drive, etc. So long as I what I do does not infringe upon the personal liberties of others, so be it. The agreements between consenting adults are between them and no one else. The job of the government should only be there to intervene when contracts are broken or the rights of others are violated.

I'd like to expound more on this but my time for today is about up. We'll hash it out some more when I get the chance again.

1 comment:

  1. It is frightening. There is little wonder why some of the more paranoid are so freaked out by the Government. Have you ever noticed that many Paranoid Schizophrenics believe that the Government is out to harm them and is watching their every movement? Maybe they are just more perceptive. Scary thought. I wonder if I have any tinfoil?

    ReplyDelete